Responso to : " Why teach math history?"

 Before reading the article, I thought the history of mathematics could mainly be used to provide context and make mathematics lessons more engaging, for example, through short stories about mathematicians or how mathematical ideas developed. I also thought that it could introduce students to ancient cultures and show how mathematics developed in different civilizations. This could be especially interesting in a multicultural society such as Canada, where students from different cultural backgrounds might be interested in introducing mathematicians and mathematical achievements from their own countries.

Several examples in the article made me stop and think. One example I found particularly interesting was the Pythagorean theorem, where students can explore seven different proofs developed in different cultures. This example shows that the same mathematical idea can be explored from different perspectives, rather than having only one correct way to think about it. I was also surprised to learn that negative numbers were not fully accepted until the beginning of the nineteenth century. Another example that caught my attention was Galileo’s conjecture about a heavy rope hanging from both ends, which he believed would form a parabola. Other mathematicians later studied this problem, which led to the concept of the catenary. These examples connect well with the main idea of the article: errors, different perspectives, changes in thinking, and intuitive arguments can all be valuable resources for learning mathematics.

After reading the article, my view has changed. I see that history can be integrated into mathematics in several ways to help students understand why mathematical concepts and methods were developed, compare different approaches, and see that mathematics was not always a fixed set of rules and formulas, but has developed through human ideas over time. I particularly like the idea of using historical problems and different methods of solving them because it can encourage students to think like mathematical researchers, and it can deepen their understanding of the subject. 

Comments

  1. The example you mentioned about Galileo and the hanging rope really caught my attention. I like how an idea that turned out to be wrong still led to more questions and eventually new mathematics. It’s a nice example of the article’s point that mistakes can actually be part of mathematical development.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Three things that surprised me!

Did Mesopotamian scribers have algebra?